RE: Changes to VATSIM-UK Divisional Policy and Training Structure
The VATSIM Executive Committee have recently approved an amendment to GRP (v2.1). This amendment will see the S1 â€œGroundâ€ Rating become a â€œTower Traineeâ€ rating.
This process remains unchanged.
S1-S2 (Tower Training)
It is to be noted that once the S1 rating is issued, the Tower Trainee does not automatically have privileges to control any aerodrome position (DEL-TWR). These restrictions must be lifted by the relevant RTS team. Please note that itâ€™s expected that the majority of new S1â€™s will be of a level of competency to have their DEL/GND restrictions lifted almost immediately, enabling them to control these positions solo.
A Tower Trainee who has commenced their Tower training with a mentor may be given a Solo Tower Validation (STV) when all the criteria in their Aerodrome progress sheet is assessed to be â€˜Satisfactoryâ€™ (as defined in the ATC Training Syllabus). However, this is not an automatic privilege and it is ultimately at the discretion of the RTS Team whether the Solo Tower Validation (STV) is beneficial to the student. The Tower Trainee may then log on only at their training aerodrome tower position without the supervision of a mentor. The RTS team have between 2 and 4 weeks to review the Tower Traineeâ€™s performance and progression, whereby a mentoring session or over the shoulder (OTS) check is conducted. Two things may then happen:
- The Tower Trainee has progressed through their solo experiences on Tower that they are assessed as Test Standard on all criteria and can then be put forward* for their S2 (Tower) exam (*subject to successfully competing the S2 theory exam).
- The Trainee has progressed but still needs help on parts of Aerodrome Control. Further mentoring can take place during the solo tower validation period. It is at the discretion of the RTS team as to when the subsequent progression review(s) is/are completed. Minimal mentoring maybe required for the tower trainee to be assessed as test standard.
Please note the following:
- The Solo Tower Validation (STV) can be revoked at the discretion of the RTS Management;
- The Minimum requirement for all criteria to be at least â€˜Satisfactoryâ€™ before the Solo Tower Validation (STV) is granted - will be reviewed after 3 months (Dec 2011);
- A full list of Tower Trainees who have been granted a Solo Tower Validation (STV) will be available on the VATSIM-UK website;
- A Tower Trainee will not be granted more than one Solo Tower Validation (STV).
VATSIM-UK will begin this process on the 1st Sept and aim to have it fully implemented by the 11th Sept. A progress review will take place after 3 months (Dec 2011), or as directed by VATEUR.
RE: Changes to VATSIM-UK Examining System
With immediate affect, all RTS Management and Instructors (I1/I3) that hold a normal rating of S3 or above will join the examining team to conduct Tower exams.
These new examiners may ony conduct S2 tower exams. Requests to extend the examination privileges of individuals within the examination team, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Training Department.
Update August 2011
RE: Examination criteria review
The Training Department will shortly be conducting a full review of all examination procedures, criteria and policy.
The review is anticipated to take 3 months and upon completion will be published on the VATSIM-UK forums.
The Observer to S1 course has been created and has undergone independent beta testing conducted by:
1. The Training Department
2. The RTS Teams
3. Cross section of current membership
4. New Observers
The testing phase is now complete and we anticipate that this initial module of the new E-Learning platform will be made available within the coming weeks.
The S1-S2 Tower course is currently under construction and is anticipated to enter the testing phase early October 2011.
Edited by Ross Bristo VATUK5, 30 August 2011 - 06:23 PM.